Celebrating its 75th anniversary, the International Furnishings and Design Association (IFDA) returned its coveted IFDA Selects program to High Point Market following a two-year hiatus due to Covid-19.
The awards celebration took place at The Point on Monday evening of Market, where finalists, judges, industry leaders, and others gathered to honor the companies and design professionals whose products were tapped as finalists, and to announce the winners.
13 industry notables judged products across 12 categories, awarded three finalists per category, from which one was selected as the IFDA Selects winner.
Judges were tasked with finding examples of exemplary design throughout the Market’s permanent and temporary exhibitors and bestowing those with a blue ribbon, making it easy for market attendees to spot the finalists’ products. Volume producers, designer brands, and emerging artisans were all considered and reviewed.
IFDA Selects is an initiative by IFDA to recognize design innovation, quality construction and environmental responsibility throughout our industry. Selects judging has taken place at the High Point Market, New York Now, BDNY, What’s New What’s Next, Las Vegas Market and ICFF.
As an additional benefit of being selected as a finalist at High Point Market is the International Society of Furniture Designers (ISFD) provides all finalists with automatic entry into that organization’s Pinnacle Awards, the industry’s top prize for product designers. The Pinnacle Awards takes places each October Market with the 2022 edition happening on Monday, October 24th.
At the awards ceremony, IFDA International President, Dawn Brinson, congratulated all the finalists for their outstanding commitment to design. Each category judge then announced the finalists and their winner. In addition to the blue ribbon previously handed out, each winner received framed commemorative award to display.
The following are the finalists and winners, along with the judge for each category:
- Accessories Finalists: Made Goods’ Marcianus sculpture; Currey & Company Ringling Vase; Accessories Winner: Set of Three Panels from Chelsea House, Judge: Cheryl Luckett
- Art Finalists: Montimorren Creative’s Mr. Bluish 340; Acoustic Wall Art Panel from Splashworks; Art Winner: East Meets West from Design Legacy, Judge: Rachel Moriarty
- Bedroom casegoods Finalists: Corbel Bed from Hooker Furnishings; the Frank Platform Bed by Huppé; Bedroom casegoods Winner: Dolce from Kenneth Cobonpue, Judge: John Conrad
- Hospitality Finalists: Helix Pendant from Beacon Custom Lighting; Moroccan Garden Inspired Lamp from Port 68; Hospitality Winner: Colonial Williamsburg Scenic Mural from Paul Montgomery, Judge: Gary Inman, IFDA
- Lighting Finalists: Barnacle from Kenneth Cobonpue; Dogwood Chandelier from Regina Andrew; Lighting Winner: Collier from Tech Lighting at Visual Comfort, Judge: Victoria Valentinas
- Maker/Artisan Finalists: Record Bus by Kamiya Furniture; Tetra by Stabb Designs for Beacon Custom Lighting; Maker/Artisan Winner: Big Pine Bench from Design Build Found, Judge: Tym DeSanto
- New & Next Finalists: Saisei Grande Chandelier from Currey & Co; Izdatglaz from Orfeo Quagliata; New & Next Winner: Lucio Console from Roberta Schilling Collection, Judge: Patti Carpenter, IFDA
- Occasional casegoods Finalists: Loop de Loop Credenza by Sasha Bikoff for Kindel Grand Rapids; Diamond Sideboard by Maria Yee Design Studio; Occasional casegoods Winner: Mercedes Coffee Table by Antonia Caicedo for E. J. Victor, Judge: Dr. Rosa Otero, IFDA
- Outdoor furnishings Finalists: Secret Garden Arm Chair by Poltrona Frau at Janus et Cie; Bordeaux Side Chair from Summer Classics; Outdoor Winner: Walter Lamb Aluminum Rocking Chair from Brown Jordan, Judges: Brianne Verstat and Jordan Neises
- Soft goods Finalists: Bedding Pillows & Accents from Poetic Pillow; Pillows & Throws for the Home from Johanna Howard Home; Soft goods Winner: Bedding, Pillows & Accessories from 25 Mackenzie Lane, Judge: David Santiago, IFDA
- Sustainability Finalists: Custom Live Edge Dining Table from Simply Amish; 9520 Galahad Chandelier from Currey and Co.; Sustainability Winner: ReClips from HOUE, Judge: Nancy Fire, IFDA
- Upholstered seating Finalists: Marigold Outdoor Chaise from Kravet, Inc; Hickory Chair’s Jupiter Swivel Chair; Upholstered seating Winner: Coupe Sofa from the Barbara Barry Collection at Baker Furniture, Judge: Valerie Garrett