E-design website Modsy analyzed customer studios and surveyed its design community to determine the most popular interior design trends in 2020 and what we can expect to see in 2021 in its 2021 Modsy Trend Report.
Key findings from the report include:
- Mid-Century remains popular, as the style’s clean lines and flexibility make it ideal for small spaces.
- Traditional style rose 6 percent in popularity, while classic style grew 11 percent, despite these styles being consistently the least popular among Modsy customers in the past.
- With all the time being spent at home, people are using their homes to show off their personalities. Thus, eclectic style has risen in popularity by 13 percent.
- Most customers (44 percent) get their inspiration from the internet, followed by their significant other (15 percent), family members (13 percent) and friends (10 percent).
- Storage furniture and accent chairs were among the most popular products Modsy customers purchased in 2020. Main seating purchases rose in May, with customers spending an average of 4 percent more on main seating furniture that month.
- Sixty-nine percent of people engaged in a home redesign project in 2020, with many customers opting to reorganize, move or change the aesthetic of their spaces.
- Home offices were on the rise, with home office furniture sales tripling in April 2020 vs April 2019. Consumers (25 percent) reported lighting as being the most important component of the home office, followed by quietness/soundproofing (20 percent) and ergonomic furniture (18 percent).
In 2021, Modsy expects the desire for nostalgia to increase, with Grandmillennial style taking hold. The site also expects bold wall colors, which perhaps remind people of hotels and restaurants, to make way into homes.
To read the full report, go to Modsy’s website.