York Wallcoverings, the largest and oldest wallcoverings producer in the U.S., has declared its 2021 Color of the Year: Blue Jean Jacket, a light blue hue that is both effortless and timeless. The color signals a trend towards cozy and comfortable interiors, and exemplifies the relationship between today’s cultural sentiment and the style preferences of today’s interior designers and homeowners.
The color in York’s portfolio of wallcoverings takes its cues from an American fashion staple: the classic denim jacket. Similar to its namesake, Blue Jean Jacket is versatile, and can be dressed up or down to achieve any design style, from Natural Bohemian to Urban Glamour.
“We selected Blue Jean Jacket as our 2021 Color of the Year based on several factors,” said Carol Miller, York’s in-house trend and color expert. “From an aesthetics perspective, it’s a beautiful color found in many of our most popular wallcoverings, and we’ve seen a big shift towards styles that evoke feelings of comfort and casual togetherness at home. There have been a lot of challenges this past year, and looking into 2021, people are craving spaces that provide relaxation--similar to the familiar happiness you get from wearing your favorite denim jacket. Furthermore, with its heritage spanning back about 130 years, we’re inspired by the denim jacket as a symbol of the American dream. It’s hard working, has homespun roots, and can be emblazoned with personality. Its diversity is endless. It feels very right to recognize Blue Jean Jacket as emblematic of strength, warmth, and the centerpiece of a confident tomorrow.”
Blue Jean Jacket: A Design Essential
Several products within York’s portfolio are designed with the Blue Jean Jacket colorway, sometimes featured as the hero hue, and other times displayed in the background to provide a supportive role to the color story. Some of the standout wallcoverings featuring the color include:
- Gunny Sack provides a modern take on the industrial-inspired burlap cloth.
- Silk Weave emulates the look of raw silk, incorporating both the texture and fine linear crosshatch threads distinctive to this luxury woven.
- Midsummer Floral displays a variety of artistically rendered blooms to create a lovely botanical bliss.
- Fern Tile features a textural, tiled ogee effect to create the essence of ferns.
- The Twist pleases the eye with a pattern of interlocking swirls.
- Dante Ribbon delights with a pattern of ribbons that weave and twist.