The Educational Foundation of IFDA, the International Furnishings and Design Assn., has announced that a total of $12,500 in scholarship funding will be awarded this year to seven selected attendees of accredited higher-education institutions.
Students whose collegiate focus includes interior design, furniture design or marketing can apply between March 1 and 31. IFDA-EF is the educational and charitable arm of an industry association — with chapters country-wide, plus Japan — that celebrates its 70th anniversary this year. From its inception says EF Chairman Linda Hunt, the foundation "has recognized that education in the furnishings and design industry is central to developing and enhancing the careers of designers and students destined to be on the leading edge of innovation and creativity."
EF funding, as described below, is the design industry's largest scholarship resource for students focused on design-industry careers. According to Linda Mariani, the foundation's Director of Scholarships and Grants, "By providing these awards, we are giving serious, talented students the opportunity to fine-tune their organizational skills and have their work seen and evaluated by industry professionals."
• IFDA Leaders Commemorative Scholarship is open to full-time students who are currently enrolled in an interior design or related program, are engaged in some volunteer or community service project and have held leadership posts during the past five years: $1,500.
• Part-Time Student Scholarship will be awarded to a degree-seeking undergraduate currently enrolled part time in a continuing interior design or related program at an accredited institution: $1,500.
• IFDA Student Member Scholarship is open to any full-time undergraduate who has completed at least four design courses in a post-secondary interior design or related program and is also a student member of one of IFDA's regional chapters: $2,000.
• The Vercille Voss IFDA Graduate Student Scholarship will be presented to a full- or part-time graduate student who is currently enrolled at an accredited institution, has completed four design courses in post-secondary education and is pursuing a major in interior design or a related field: $2,000.
• The Ruth Clark Furniture Design Scholarship is available to any currently enrolled full- or part-time undergraduate or graduate design major specializing in residential wood and/or upholstered furniture design. $3,000.
• Tricia LeVangie Green/Sustainable Design Scholarship is open to currently enrolled full- or part-time undergraduate students who have completed four design courses in post-secondary education and are majoring in interior design or a related field, with plans to become educated participants in the green movement. $1,500.
• Window Fashion Certified Professionals Fast Track Scholarship, to be awarded to a student seeking workroom or design certification, is open to anyone enrolled in an interior design (or related) program at a two- or three-year institution: one full $1,000 registration.
Applications must be received by March 31, 2017. For details about each scholarship, see www.ifdaef.org. Winners will be notified by July 31.