Exactly two years after the launch of Universal’s Modern Collection, the company debuts the next wave. More than a mere addition to Modern, the 40-plus SKUs added to the collection present new shapes, unique bed designs and the introduction of woven materials.
Modern’s modus operandi is simple sophistication that’s clean and bold. While designs are somewhat daring, the construction and materials focus on livable, usable furnishings that are comfortable enough for everyday use. While the overarching feel is modern, it can take on a wide range of aesthetics from restrained to glamorous.
"Retailers and designers have really embraced the line over the last two years,” said Universal Furniture CEO Jeff Scheffer. “So, this fall is a natural expansion on an aesthetic that’s done really well for us and our customers.”
Two new finishes join the collection this fall. Onyx and Sand, a dark brown and tan respectively, are both heavily wire-brushed oak veneers. The finishes were developed and refined using complex layering techniques, and variations of color and sheen to achieve a dry, casual optic. The wood is abraded by hand to achieve an aged look.
- Sliding cocktail table: Hold on to your martini, this table has got some pretty slick moves, thanks to ball-bearing tracks. Three tiers – one wood, one marble, one metal - are stacked perpendicular and each tier slides back and forth to reveal the level underneath.
- Mirror: Rectangular in shape with either an Antique Brass or Brushed Bronze finish, this mirror takes its appearance from the abstract style made famous by the Dutch artist Mondrian, with a grid of varying sized, geometric blocks.
- Circular console: This 80-inch-long standout features metal circles of varying sizes that appear sandwiched between the console top and base. At only 16 inches deep, its sure to fit the narrowest of hallways or foyers.
- Display cabinet: A design that can function as display cabinet or bookcase, this vertically oriented, 88-inch-high, eight-door cabinet features wood-trimmed cabinet doors with glass inserts all set on a metal base.
- Sideboard: Faced with horizontal slat trim, the sideboard appears as if it was a board-and-batten design in the sand finish. Push-to-open concealed hardware, two tray drawers, felt-lined silverware tray insert and vertical platter storage.